This project is read-only.

A Question

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:26 AM
I'm a bit lost. If the purpose is to create filters in IIS using managed code, why do you need to do any setup in web.config?

Or is this change for all file types, but only for the website controlled by the web.config?

That, actually, would be an interesting capability.
Aug 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM
Edited Aug 17, 2007 at 12:50 AM
Dewey, maybe the installation steps are not clear, but the configuration file you're supposed to change is not in any way related to web.config. Its in fact the configuration file that comes with the installation binary.

This ZIP file will extract some files, namely, a native ISAPI Filter (NativeFilter.dll) and the managed framework (KodeIT.Web.dll and KodeIT.Web.dll.config). The configuration file you're supposed to change, when adding a new HttpFilter, is this KodeIT.Web.dll.config file.

Basically, the managed framework creates a new AppDomain whose configuration file is this one. So, when the framework is kicked off, it will read configuration settings from this file.

This is something completely separate from ASP.NET, meaning you could have an IIS with NO ASP.NET installed and still have Filter.NET installed (with .NET 2.0) and be able to create ISAPI Filters in .NET.
Aug 17, 2007 at 7:53 AM
It wasn't the steps, it was the format that resembled a web.config file.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, and I'm really happy that the behavior is the same as a standard ISAPI filter.

The reason I'm so interested is that I currently map resources marked as "~/somepath/me.jpg.ashx" to eliminate the need for relative or full path names. Unfortunately, this will not work for my HTML files, only the ASPX files.

I hope to use your work to provide that capability for any file type.

Thanks.