Problem with Filter.NET, can't make it work

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Hi,
Don't know if this is the right place, but...
I downloaded and installed and configured the Filter.NET Framework as written in "More Information" topic. I wrote a simple filter to handle OnRequest event following your samles. When I run my application, the event doesn't caught by my filter. How can I test what's wrong and where the problem is?

Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Hi Kamarey,

Some things you may check are:
1. If you subscribing to OnReadRawData this event is not fired onIIS6, only on older versions <= IIS5.1
2. Make sure you installed the msi (obvious, but listed here for completeness)
3. Make sure you registered Filter.NET with IIS (described in 2nd link of "More Information")
4. Make sure you edited filter.config to load your managed filter (described in 3rd link of "More Information")
5. Look into event viewer to see if any error was logged
6. Open up inetmgr.exe (Internet Services Manager), go the ISAPI Filters tab on the "Web Sites" and check if Filter.NET appears in the list.

These are some of the troubleshooting steps for now.
The 3 steps in the "More Information" topic - installation, registration and configuration - are all required.

let me know how it goes.

Tiago Halm
Jul 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Hi,
Only after your post I understood that the filter.config is not a sample, but it's the real config file. Before I placed all these configuration in web.config of application, and dll was in the application's bin folder.

So thank you for help!

By the way, the registration of Filter.NET with "filter_regiis.exe" should be run only when the directory with this file is the current directory. E.g you can't just drag&drop this file to Start->Run box and execute. You should run cmd, go to the Windows\Filter.Net\v1.0.1\ folder and only after that run registration command. I killed with this issue some time.